HP seems to have set up a package repository for Ubuntu 12.04, which is an improvement since I last checked a few years ago. To use the repo, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://downloads.linux.hp.com/downloads/ManagementComponentPack/ubuntu precise current/non-free
Run “sudo apt-get update”.
You can install a number of software packages from the repository:
- hpsmh: HP System Management Homepage
- hp-smh-template: HP System Management Homepage Templates
- cpqacuxe: HP Array Configuration Utility, web-based
- hp-snmp-agents: Insight Management SNMP Agents for HP ProLiant Systems
- hponcfg: RILOE II/iLO online configuration utility
- hp-health: HP System Health Application and Command line Utility Package
- hpacucli: HP Command Line Array Configuration Utility
- ams: Agentless Monitoring Service for HP ProLiant Gen8 Systems Continue reading HP ProLiant Management Component Pack on Ubuntu
To get a virtual serial console, you need to enable the iLO virtual serial port. I had mine set up like this:
- iLO 2 Virtual Serial Port: COM2 0x2F8 IRQ 3
I also enabled ssh access in the iLO web interface. This way I can ssh into the iLO and see all BIOS messages using the “vsp” command. I can even go to the BIOS setup (RBSU) by pressing “ESC-9”.
To be able to control GRUB via the virtual serial port, it has to be configured. I changed the following lines in /etc/default/grub: Continue reading HP iLO2 Virtual Serial Console on Ubuntu
I downloaded the firmware from HP site. It was named CP019022.scexe. I tried uploading it in the iLO2 web interface, but it was rejected. Next, I copied it to the server, gave it execute permissions and ran it:
./CP019022.scexe: 153: ./CP019022.scexe: pushd: not found
./CP019022.scexe: 158: ./CP019022.scexe: popd: not found
./CP019022.scexe: 96: ./CP019022.scexe: ./flash_ilo2: not found
Not working. This is a fresh installation of Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 LTS x86_64. So I had to start looking closer. The file is a bash script but the hashbang is #!/bin/sh, which puts bash into old Bourne shell mode. No pushd/popd there. Continue reading Upgrading HP Proliant iLO2 Firmware with Ubuntu Server
Getting the HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU) and the Array Diagnostic Utility (ADU) for Linux to work was non-trivial. It does not seem to be supported anymore, but I managed to get it working on CentOS 5 running on an HP ProLiant DL185 G5.
Continue reading HP Array Configuration and Diagnostic Utilities on Linux